I'm starting off the month by raising awareness of what it's like to be a kid with ADHD. Parents frequently express their frustrations about managing their ADHD children. But unless they have it themselves (and there is a strong likelihood that one parent does), it is very difficult to imagine what it's like from a child's point-of-view.
Let's begin with the question kids with ADHD dread most......WHY?!!?!?
- Why didn't you turn in your homework?
- Why don't you pay attention in class?
- Why didn't you come home in time for dinner?
- Why didn't you do your chores after school?
- Why didn't you do what I asked you to do?
- Why didn't you finish your project?
- Why don't you stop and think before doing (fill in the blank)?
- I forgot.
- It's too boring.
- I didn't know what time it was.
- I was going to do them later.
- I didn't hear you.
- I didn't feel like it.
- I don't know!!
This brings us back to ADHD Awareness Week. The goal this year is to "raise awareness about the importance of identifying and treating this potentially debilitating disorder early in life." (See more about CHADD's campaign here.)
Here are 10 more reasons CHADD members give for why an early diagnosis is important.